Services & Rates
Line-by-line content edit
A line-by-line content edit will:
- Correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Correct and/or mark passive voice (eliminating, where possible, “helping” verbs such as “should,” “could,” and “began to”)
- Point out passive verbs (“was,” “were,” etc.) and change to active verbs when possible
- Mark redundancies
- Suggest alternative wording, when appropriate
- Suggest alternative sentence construction, where appropriate, to keep your prose sharp
- Make suggestions on improving plot, characterization, and dialogue
- Suggest adding, deleting, or moving text, when appropriate
- Evaluate your manuscript, pointing out strong points and areas that need improvement
Rates are $.03 per word.
- Proofreading will examine a manuscript and mark corrections for grammar and spelling errors. It will also check for inconsistencies in formatting.
Rates are $.012 cents per word.
- A diagnostic reading will give you a detailed overview of your manuscript, pointing out strengths and weaknesses in plot, characterization and story flow.
Rates are $2 per single-sided, double-spaced page (of approx. 250 words). Minimum 200 pages.
What I will do:
- Provide a free sample edit.
- Give constructive criticism that you can use to better your prose without tearing you down.
- Focus on basic craft elements: showing vs. telling, dialogue, interior monologue, beats, point of view, repetition, attributions, pacing, voice, etc. Of course, I will also check grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Show you the proper formatting that editors and agents expect to see in a manuscript.
- Offer advice and suggestions on where to find trustworthy agents and publishers.
- Answer questions and be available for follow-up help after the edit.
What I won’t do:
- I won’t do copy-editing; however, I can refer you to excellent editors who do.
- I don’t do “one size fits all” editing. I tailor each editing job to my clients. Each book is unique, each style and each voice.
I can’t promise that you will be published, or if your story is great, I can’t promise that it will become a best-seller. The market is very subjective. Some books run that weren’t expected to walk and other books die that were expected to live.
- I don’t edit poetry, erotica or anything that has to do with Satanism. I reserve the right to refuse any manuscript.
Submissions & Guidelines:
- Electronic submissions only.
- Please send your manuscript as an attachment in Microsoft Word. If you don’t have Microsoft Word, then use Rich Text Format (RTF).
- Do not put your manuscript in the body of an email.
All prices are in USD.
A minimum fee of $45 applies to short stories, children’s stories, and articles (anything 1500 words or less).